Assistant Quantity Surveyor – Dorset – Retail, Commercial and Leisure Design and Build
My client is a second-generation family owned and managed business delivering main-contracting services to the Retail, Commercial and Leisure sectors.
- To provide an Assistant Quantity Surveying service across a range of projects under the guidance of a more senior Contract Surveyor / Surveying Director to ensure they are delivered on time and within budget. The role has supervised accountability to commercial functions, accurate contract cost reporting and to mitigate contractual risk.
|2. Position Typically Reports to:|
- Surveying Director
- Contract Surveyor(s)
|3. Key Accountabilities and Deliverables:|
- Develop a basic understanding of obligations under the main contracts and sub-contracts.
- Develop an understanding of the Sub-Contract and Vendor procurement process – orders and buying.
- Develop an understanding of Customer requirements and KPI monitoring.
- Communicates, confidentially, professionally and positively with all parties.
- Develop an understanding of all J M Scully Ltd commercial processes and how these can be used to maximise profit margins.
- To undertake work in accordance with the Company’s H&S Policy and other procedures. To take reasonable care of the H&S of myself and any other person who may be affected by my acts or omissions at work. To cooperate with any H&S duty or requirement imposed by the Company, and to use anything provided by the Company for health, safety or welfare in accordance with its purpose.
|4. Key Tasks:|
- Complete on site measurement and take-off’s.
- Sending out Sub-Contract and Vendor enquiries with accurate information.
- Ensure that his or her key objectives are reviewed with line management.
- Take part in customer review meetings and demonstrate awareness of customer service.
- Control and request accurate site records to assist in the measurement and evaluation to actual costs and variations.
- Drawing control/specification revisions – maintaining accurate records.
- Understanding and controlling the internal and external commercial procedures in respect to sub-contract packages and on site preliminaries i.e. order content with relevant appendices, formalising payment schedules, maintaining procurement schedules and preliminary spend to date comparisons.
- Develop an understanding of the procedure to support the production of monthly CVR’s.
- Develop an understanding of the procedure to support the production of regular cost to complete reports.
- Awareness of risk management control and mitigation of commercial impact.
- Learn Construction methods and technology from other team members.
|4. Key Tasks (Cont’d):|
- Together with other team members, be responsible for cost control on all their projects – maintaining and improving budgets.
- Comply with policies and best practices.
- Understanding of administration and contract records.
- Assist with progress claims with the client’s representative through to invoicing.
- Assist with and learn how to measure and value sub-contractor’s accounts to maximise profits.
- Interpersonal skills – Ability to form relationships with supply chain and work effectively with site management and the site team.
- Basic ability to form relationships with PQS, Project Management and the design team.
|5. Knowledge, Skills and Qualifications:|
- Continuing professional development.
- Basic measurement and valuation.
- Understanding the tendering and supplemental enquiry process.
- Sub-Contract and Vendor procurement under supervision from Contract Surveyor.
- The willingness to learn obligations under contract, claims, loss and expense.
- The importance and implication of a structured Payment processes – internal and external.
- Knowledge of the J M Scully ISO processes
- The drive to learn construction methods and technology from experienced site team members
- Basic administration of contract methods.
- Basic Contract Law.
- The ability to understand and implement theoretically learnt commercial skills in a practical situation to maximise value recovery, cost control and cash management.
- Basic understanding of financial reports and final accounts.
- Ability to form and develop relationships with PQS, design team and supply chain.
- Good interpersonal skills – ability to work effectively with site management and rest of the team.
- Training towards an HNC Building Studies / Quantity Surveying (minimum requirement).
|Contact Name:||Victor Lagnado|
|Telephone:||020 8429 5297|
|Industry:||Removals / Storage|
|Salary:||£25,000 – £28,000 PA + Package|